Current:Home > reviewsFormer Connecticut budget official arrested on federal charges -Capitatum
Former Connecticut budget official arrested on federal charges
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:51:18
A former top official in Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont’s budget office who played a key role in school construction grants and offshore wind projects was arrested Thursday morning on federal charges, a spokesperson from the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.
Konstantinos “Kosta” Diamantis, a former state representative from Bristol and a lawyer, was expected to appear in Hartford federal court at a time to be determined, said spokesman Thomas Carson. Details of the arrest are under seal and were not available.
Diamantis, a former deputy secretary of the Office of Policy and Management, resigned in October 2021 on the same day he was placed on paid administrative pending a misconduct investigation, according to a letter from the state’s personnel office.
A message was left seeking comment Thursday with Diamantis. In 2021, Diamantis told The Associated Press he could not discuss the investigation but he believed he would be cleared of any wrongdoing.
A spokesperson for Lamont did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Diamantis’ arrest.
In March 2022, state officials received a federal grand jury subpoena seeking electronic communications dating to Jan. 1, 2018, involving Diamantis and the “planning, bidding, awarding and implementation” of school construction projects, upgrades at the state pier in New London, and hazardous material abatement projects.
Oversight of school construction grants was originally administered by the Department of Administrative Services before moving to the Office of Policy and Management when Diamantis moved from one agency to the next. It’s now handled by DAS again.
An attorney for Diamantis has previously said his client “broke no law” and “many of the claims of undue influence and so forth are people who simply don’t understand the state bidding process.”
Diamantis, who submitted his retirement paperwork when he resigned, is earning a $72,514 a year from a state pension, according to state records.
He was suspended and then resigned about a month after a Hartford Courant columnist wrote about Diamantis’ daughter being hired for a $99,000-a-year position in the Division of Criminal Justice “without any evident competition.”
Connecticut’s former top prosecutor, Richard Colangelo Jr., later retired as a state oversight commission considered whether to hold termination hearings on his decision to hire Diamantis’ daughter while pressing Diamantis for pay raises for high-ranking state’s attorneys. Colangelo denied any wrongdoing.
__
Associated Press Writer Pat Eaton Robb contributed to this report.
veryGood! (54361)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- 2024 Grammy nominations snub Pink, Sam Smith and K-pop. Who else got the cold shoulder?
- Brazilian Influencer Luana Andrade Dead at 29 After Liposuction Surgery
- Nonprofits making progress in tackling homelessness among veterans, but challenges remain
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Israeli national team arrives in Kosovo for soccer game under tight security measures
- National Guard members fight to have injuries recognized and covered: Nobody's listening
- Hershey unveils Reese’s Caramel Big Cup, combines classic peanut butter cup with caramel
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Houseboats catch fire on a lake popular with tourists, killing 3 in Indian-controlled Kashmir
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- The alleged theft at the heart of ChatGPT
- Taylor Swift reschedules Argentina show due to weather: 'Never going to endanger my fans'
- How researchers, farmers and brewers want to safeguard beer against climate change
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- The man accused of attacking Nancy Pelosi’s husband was caught up in conspiracies, defense says
- UK police step up efforts to ensure a massive pro-Palestinian march in London remains peaceful
- Acapulco’s recovery moves ahead in fits and starts after Hurricane Otis devastation
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Lyrics can be used as evidence during rapper Young Thug's trial on gang and racketeering charges, judge rules
Columbia University suspends pro-Palestinian and Jewish student clubs
5.0 magnitude quake strikes Dominican Republic near border with Haiti
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Sudanese American rapper Bas on using music to cope with the brutal conflict in Sudan
Arab American comic Dina Hashem has a debut special — but the timing is 'tricky'
The man accused of attacking Nancy Pelosi’s husband was caught up in conspiracies, defense says